Saturday, November 1, 2008

I just called my family in the Philippines and today is All Souls Day there(Nov 2). In the Philippines, we celebrate All Souls Day (sometimes called "Day of the Dead") like Memorial Day here. All Souls Day is a day of remembrance for friends and loved ones who have passed away. Customs include prayers, and ornately embellishing the graves of loved ones and relatives.

It has been my family's tradition to get together on All Souls Day. We go together in the cemetery and stayed there for a while then we go back to our family's house and eat together. They're doing that more often now since my father died, mama wants to gather all of her kids and grand kids to remember Papa's and my sister Yol's (she died while I was on my mission) birthday and their death anniversaries. I wish I was there with them. I'm sure they're having tons of fun together. I miss my family and I'm looking forward when we can visit them again!


These pictures were taken on April 30, 2006 when Andrew and I went to the Philippines.
I'll update with more picture once my sister emailed me their latest picture.