Saturday, August 2, 2008

Russ and I drove to Walmart at midnight since we're doing something else tomorrow and we won't have time to buy what we need. On our way home (halfway) I smell a funny smell and it's really really stinky . I asked what is it and that's when he told me it's a skunk odor. I think a skunk sprayed right when we passed by and the smell was really really really strong. Though we haven't been sprayed directly, we got the smell from the air outside. When we got home I can still smell it and I am feeling sick (Russ is fine). I looked at the internet for some information about skunk odor and this is what I found!



How do you eliminate the odor once you have been sprayed by a skunk? Well first of all, you or your dog should have known the warning signs ahead of time. A skunk will give many clear signals before it sprays. If threatened, it will stamp its front feet, arch its back, and shuffle away. If you don't leave right away, it will turn its posterior toward you, raise the tail, and release the smelly musk, a sulfur-alcohol compound, from special glands near the anus. This spray not only stinks, but burns and can cause temporary blindness if it is sprayed directly into the eyes. Since you didn't take heed and got sprayed, here is how to get rid of the smell:

Here is the secret recipe that WORKS. Mix the following:
  • 1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
  • 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
  • 1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
  • Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
  • Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
  • Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
  • For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.